Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Don and Betty Draper: The new Barbie and Ken?

   The NYTimes reports the addition of four "Mad Men" dolls to Mattel's ridiculously still-popular Barbie line.  I don't know how I feel about this from a marketing point of view,  but I will note that a) the red-headed Joan Holloway (I refuse to use her married name) is the best likeness and b) the plastic Don Draper and Roger Sterling can't fill out a suit like their in-the-flesh counterparts.
   Sorry, Mattel.  I don't think I'll be buying the dolls, but when miniature versions appear in Hallmark stores as Christmas ornaments, count me in!
   Meanwhile, Season 4 begins in July, 2010.   Will Betty still be a major character? (The doll seems to suggest she will.)  And will little Sally still be a part of Don's life?  She's the only one who's got it together in that family! 

1 comment:

Carol Starr Schneider said...

They're not really fooling anybody here with these dolls, but in the office setting, it does evoke the Mad Men style. You're right that Joan comes closest. Maybe they're aiming at collectors only here?

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...