Saturday, February 21, 2015

Red glass plates and the mysterious copper pan

I spent yesterday afternoon with my mother, cleaning and sorting (again) for the last time before she moves to her new apartment in the retirement place.  (If it seems like this has been going on for months, it has.)  My sister found Mom a guy who will cart all manner of stuff away to sell, donate or dispose of, and we all couldn't be more thrilled about him. There is still a lot of stuff to sort through, but that will be up to us - the kids - after Mom moves and is sure she has everything she needs and wants in the new place. Yesterday, she had the dining room table full of kitchen and dining stuff, and my sisters and I carted some of it home and left the rest for "the guy who we're all thrilled about." I came home with these red glass plates...
For the record, I have taken none of the fine china my sisters wanted as I am not the 'fine china' type and probably never will be. The red plates, however, I have always coveted.  They look great with my informal china from our wedding (I did not register any formal china), as well as with the Polish pottery I've collected over the years.  And, by the way, red plates by themselves make your food look really sexy!
I also took home this old copper pan, which I'm dying to cook in if, by doing so, I won't kill my family. (Research on safety of cooking in old copper pots ongoing.)  Doesn't it just scream Julia Child at the Cordon Bleu?!?
What is mystifying is this inscription on the side of the pan...
I can't make heads or tails of it, even on Google. Antiques Roadshow, where are you when I need you?!

4 comments:

Nebraskim said...

I love those red dishes and they look outstanding with your (our) Lancaster dishware. Antiques Roadshow is coming to Omaha this summer. There's a ticket lottery that you can access through the PBS site or possibly through Nebraska's PBS affiliate, netnebraska.org; I think the deadline is sometime in March.

Cathy Hamilton said...

That's right, Kim..."Our" Lancaster! Still love it. Thanks for the tip on AR. I'll check to see if they're coming closer, but Omaha's not out of the question. I am really buggin' about that copper pot insignia!

Unknown said...

I am more than ever impressed through your approach of look in this blog. It shows your visualization. Important attempt you take in through in this blog. Thanks for sharing. Airport advertising in Goa can be utilized to target instructed, rich and smooth voyagers who appreciate the better things in life. The airport abides time and bottlenecks in traveler stream expand the achievement rate of airport advertising. This happens on the grounds that intended interest groups here are more open towards eyeball snatching advertisements.

chenlina said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...