Monday, February 2, 2015

Super Quiche Sunday

Quiche perfection
With so much going on in my life, I have found a needed diversion in my kitchen: The pursuit of the perfect crustless quiche.  In the past two weeks, I have tried the following varieties: Artichoke, fennel and brie; turkey bacon, carmelized onion and Havarti; and apple-smoked bacon, onion and salmon.  The other variable is always the egg-to-dairy mixture I carefully pour on top which has always been some artery-clogging combo of fresh dairy cream or Half & Half. (Note: cream and eggs are perfectly acceptable on the Atkins Diet to which I - er, fairly often - subscribe.) Sometimes, I use 4 eggs; other times, 3 or 5. Each quiche was satisfying in its own right, for various reasons, but perfection? Not quite. Yesterday, I broke the mold and did an asparagus & carmelized onion, Swiss/Gruyere cheese blend in a base with 1/3 fresh cream, 1/3 Kefir, 1/3 low fat ricotta cheese and 4 eggs.  As Henry Higgins said about Eliza Doolittle: "By George, she's got it! By George, she's got it!!!"

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...