Wednesday, April 3, 2013

It's official: Early retirement

When the local paper publishes the news, you know there's no turning back. I am retiring. It won't be for a few months, mind you, but retirement is definitely on the summer horizon. "Is it surreal?" my good friend, the Short Jewish Gal, asked. Surreal, indeed. I've worked since I was 15 when I lied about my age for the privilege of cutting cheese at Hickory Farms. I've been a waitress (restaurant, country club, Minnesota and Arizona resorts), restaurant hostess, hospital information clerk, activities director at three retirement centers, clown (although my balloon animal skills were lacking,) singing telegram performer, yard art creator, TV reporter, home and garden show host, Boyfriend in-a-Box inventor, author, marketing manager, website publisher, newspaper reporter and columnist, and business association director. That's a lot of sundry jobs in 42 years. I've been lucky enough to enjoy them all.  And now.... the next act. Whatever that might be.

7 comments:

Jane said...

Congratulations to you on your early retirement. What will you do with all that spare time? However you spend it, enjoy! I hope you keep blogging.

Cathy Hamilton said...

Thanks, Jane. I plan to spend more time with my mom and other family, travel a bit more, take yoga classes, hang out with my dog (poor thing's been alone all day for too long) and I've got a couple of writing projects I'm really excited about. Blogging, for sure.

Carol Starr Schneider said...

Thankie for the shout out. This is a new beginning, gal, and I'm excited to be a part of it. So proud of you!!! xo

Nebraskim said...

Congrats. I would retire in a couple years (when I hit 60) if there was an insurance option. Keeping my fingers crossed that the Affordable Health Care Act provides that safety net for me. I'm assuming this decision was yours and not a forced choice. But I sense you are at peace and excited for a new journey.

Cathy Hamilton said...

The decision was indeed mine and the hubs'...months in the making. I am at peace, yes, but it is still a huge and, at times, unsettling thing to get used to after so many years and day jobs. Fingers crossed for you, Kim.

ogrose said...

Hi, I'm a "little" older than you, and retired at 70. I was a little apprehensive about it, and made the decision rather spur of the moment (along with my husband's urging), and haven't looked back. I mainly worked to keep a great insurance plan that covered horrific bills from my husband's cancer treatments, but once we got that worked out, it was easy! We have a large yard, and I got into raising antique roses, so keep as busy as I want. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

By the way, found your blog when answering a question about smells that you would never forget, and looked up Sea and Ski and there you were! I was in Honolulu for two months in my early 20's, baking on the beach just slathering that stuff on like everyone else, and the smell brings back such fond memories.

Anyway, am saving your blog, and will check it out!

Denisartofaday said...

I am working a .333 schedule now and love the time to think and wander into interests and activities. I have seen, however, that I need to structure time to make a little money and be with people.
Giving up a job is an adjustment and many say that it takes a year of hard thinking and trying to find what works. i believe it.
I blog too at Denisartofaday
All my best to you. Deni

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...