Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The "helpers" of Boston and NYC

It's taken me 48 hours to come to grips with the events that unfolded at the finish line of the Boston Marathon, a mere two blocks  from where my daughter used to live when she attended college there. We spent many a wonderful weekend strolling down Boylston, touring the Old South Church and the JFK Library. We talked about how fun it would be to go back to see the Marathon someday. I knew someone who ran the marathon on Monday, one of five from my town. She turned in a fast personal time and missed the explosion by a few minutes, thank God, then walked 2-1/2 hours (after running 26 miles, mind you) to get her college-aged daughter out of harm's way and back to her apartment. As the heart-wrenching stories of death and amputation continue to be told, I am grateful for what Mr. Rogers' mom called "the helpers," the hundreds of first-responders, runners and observers who stepped up to assist the wounded and, by doing so, saved countless lives. Then, there was this classy show of solidarity at Yankee Stadium last night which proved that indeed, there are "so many caring people in this world."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a high school teacher, I was moved by the "helper" term and after having students read an article about the tragedy, I asked them if they are a runner from events or a helper at this age. Showed them the Mr. Rogers video. They thoughtfully wrote that they wanted to be thought of as a helper, but not be...yet.
We need to ask character of teen-agers, because they want to give it.

Cathy Hamilton said...

Well said, Anon. The factory collapse in Bangladesh today provides more proof that "helpers" are universal.

Anonymous said...

I especially like your article because heroes are always recognized but helpers don't always.It amazes me when we have a disaster how many helpers are left behind with no thank you.May I say thank you to those who were not victims or hereos,but helpers! Appreciate your neighbers! They are great helpers!

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...