Sunday, October 27, 2013

Laughter: The best marital medicine

   I grew up thinking my parents had the perfect marriage. They didn't, of course. Nobody's marriage is perfect. They had their fair share of problems. (My God, they had five kids!) But, they made each other laugh every day. Dad was Mom's biggest fan and best audience, and vice versa. Nothing warmed my heart more - or gave me more comfort - than seeing one of them getting hysterical over the other. They were married 53 years before Dad died in 2008.
(Not sure what Mom's hand gesture means, but Dad isn't taking it personally.)
Today, my husband and I celebrated our 34th anniversary. Our marriage isn't perfect but, fortunately, it's had far more ups than downs. He still cracks me up, and vice versa.
(He's funny as hell, but still has a hard time showing his teeth in photos.)
   Why does one marriage survive when another one fails? Who knows? I'm guessing a steady diet of chuckling has something to do with it.
   Mark Twain once said, "Against the assault of laughter, nothing can stand." Twain, incidentally, was married 34 years before his wife, Olivia, died.
  Maybe Yakov Smirnoff (of all people) said it best: "If love is the treasure, laughter is the key."
  Here's to yukking it up!

2 comments:

Carol Starr Schneider said...

Congratulations to you and Rex. I totally agree: laughter is the key to marital success!

Cathy Hamilton said...

And, you would know, Funny Girl! Thanks.

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...