Thursday, April 2, 2015

New name, new focus, same old BoomerGirl

    With this post comes a wholesale change: A new format on BoomerGirl featuring my unabashedly subjective reviews of products, services, destinations, trends and other things that are of interest to boomer-aged women. For those who remember the early days when BoomerGirl debuted as an online magazine (winning the 2007 EPpy Award for best newspaper-affiliated Web Site!!) this move is almost coming full circle.
    BoomerGirls continue to reign as the "power consumers" of the planet. We make buying decisions for ourselves, our partners, our children and grandchildren AND, in many cases, our parents. We control 70% of disposable income in the United States and spend more money than any other generation. Impressive, aren't we?
    What this will NOT be is an "anti-aging" product review site. (Aging. What a stupid thing to be 'anti' about.) I will not be trying Botox or the latest injectable cheek filler or a jawline lift. Nope, needles are out. As is hair color, because that ship sailed nine years ago and I couldn't be happier with my silver locks. Purple shampoo, on the other hand, is on the table.
    Some of the things I review will be of my own choosing; others will be suggested or sent to me by the brand or their PR team. I will be sure to make that distinction in each review.
   Most importantly, I would like your reviews as well. I encourage everyone to leave comments - good, bad or indifferent. Go ahead and name the brands, the product lines, prices, your favorite (or least favorite) colors and flavors. Who knows? The marketers of the world might actually start paying attention. Did you know that less than ten percent of all advertising is targeted at baby boomers? Did I mention there are 77 million of us?
  There may still be a few tidbits about Mom's move out of my childhood home (it's done) or my son's wedding in the fall. (Heck, I could write a whole week of posts on the prevalence of matronly mother-of-the-groom gowns.) But, essentially, BoomerGirl is changing. And, despite what you've heard, change is good.

3 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

Looking forward to this.

Cathy Hamilton said...

Thanks, TaryTerre! You've been here since the beginning (or almost), I believe. I appreciate you. xo

Carol Starr Schneider said...

Very cool, hon! Can't wait to get much-needed tips on everything Boomer!

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...