Friday, December 30, 2011

It's the end of the year: Let's get stewed!

I'm making this 5-Hour Beef Stew for our annual NYE dinner and games party tomorrow night. I've wanted to make it ever since I wrote the story, in my former life as a newspaper reporter.  It's the perfect recipe if you don't like to be cooking after guests arrive. I'm going to use sweet vermouth (instead of red wine) and pearl onions - just to make it fancier - and maybe some fresh tarragon. Heat up a few baguettes, toss a green salad (supplied by a guest) and - voila! - a hearty, satisfying and easy-to-serve meal. (I only hope none of our friends decided to go vegan since last year.)

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I recently did a post about the best grocery deals for soup/stew ingredients in Lawrence. Maybe you or your readers would be interested. http://frugaltownie.blogspot.com/2011/12/grocery-deals-round-up-lets-make-some.html Anyway, this stew looks great!

Marguerite said...

Looks fabulous. What time should we be there? Happy New Year, Boomer Girl!

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...