Saturday, October 13, 2012

Dog gone.

Our less-than-24-hours-old new sofa. Pretty, isn't it?
After a 7-week wait, my new couch was delivered yesterday at 2:30 p.m. It's a classic Restoration Hardware model with goose down cushions covered in mocha colored linen. It's the most expensive piece of furniture we've ever purchased (which speaks more to my good luck at estate sales than anything else.)  I covered it with a blanket to prevent Dog #2 from shedding all over it, as she is wont to do. Little did I know that in the ten minutes it took me to do a bit of laundry this morning, Dog #2 would chew the zipper open and rip the inner goose down cushion to shreds. This is the third item she's attempted to destroy since we acquired her in June - our new guest room bed, our master bedroom mattress and, now, this. So, off she goes tomorrow to her former owner who promised she'd take her back if things didn't work out. Our hearts are breaking and I feel like a schmuck, but I can't trust her to be out of my sight anymore. Argh.

7 comments:

Jane said...

At least you could blog about it. I'd still be screaming at the walls and anyone & any dog between them. Looks like a really comfy couch. So, how does one go about getting it repaired?

CZ said...

Oh no!, squared.

Cathy Hamilton said...

Jane: Oh, I screamed. That dog heard language she'd never heard before. The main damage is to the one back cushion, which I hope Restoration Hardware can replace. In the meantime, we stuffed all the feathers back in the inner cushion and seamed it with duct tape. There are some canine teeth holes on one arm, and I think I can repair those myself. Sheesh.

Carol Starr Schneider said...

This is tragic! For the couch and for you! So sorry, hon! Ugh!!!!

Cathy Hamilton said...

So tragic. Really bad day yesterday. The hubs couldn't bear to say goodbye so I delivered her to her old digs. The good news is, she's reunited with her Clumber spaniel cousins and seemed happy to run with the pack again. Still...knife thru heartsville.

Nebraskim said...

Have you seen that dog-shaming website? This would definitely qualify. I am sorry this happened. You might see if your homeowner's insurance will pay for a replacement.

Cathy Hamilton said...

Kim, maybe they will. Most of the damage was done to the inner cushion (the one with the goose down). We managed to zip the broken zipper closed and I repaired the bite marks in the upholstery, like divots, with a pin. So, it's not a total loss. But, it would have been had I not walked in when I did.

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...