Sunday, November 18, 2012

Sunday family dinner

I love to cook on Sundays, especially if we have family coming over. "Family," in our case, means actual blood relatives or close friends we consider family. In other words, people who don't give a flip if I'm wearing yoga pants and pink fuzzy slippers all night. Friends who don't care if I sprawl on the floor after dinner to watch "Homeland" in the double-pillow hurdlers position. For that kind of family, I am preparing a new recipe tonight - pulled pork slow-cooker chili, something I made up....

 featuring two pork tenderloins cooked in French onion soup mix for 5 hours until pull-apart tender....
Balsamic-glazed sweet onions, plus diced Rotel tomatoes, a can of corn, beans, garlic and smoky spices...
 ...and topped with home-baked corn tortilla strips.
 The tortilla strips were super simple. Cut corn tortillas into strips. Assemble on baking sheet, not touching. Sprinkle lightly with salt and Mexican spices and bake at 350 for about 10 minutes. Delish!

No comments:

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...