Tuesday, February 11, 2014

R.I.P. Madam Ambassador

The Good Ship Lollipop has sailed for the last time with Shirley Temple Black aboard. She was 85. Suddenly, I'm transported back to lazy Saturday afternoons as a kid, watching Shirley's movies on TV. This was one of my favorites, especially this dance number in which the little curly top never stole focus from her graceful co-star.
Shirley and Mr. Bill "Bojangles" Robinson in "The Little Colonel"
I never wanted to be Shirley Temple. That kind of celebrity worship I reserved for the likes of Hayley Mills and Annette Funicello. Still, I remember admiring her talent and presence, that ubiquitous little pout notwithstanding, even as she matured to an accomplished post-Hollywood woman. Life well lived, Ms. Black!

2 comments:

A Fan said...

I have a faint memory of watching her TV series "Shirley Temple's Storybook". I would have been 6-7 y.o. it's last year of production in 1961. But, yes the movies on TV. When I turned on CNN today and learned of her death it was surprising, yet also serendipitous, as "The Little Princess" was just on one of movie channels last Saturday. I watched almost all of it yet again, as I had coffee and started some laundry. RIP Little Princess. :-)

Carol Starr Schneider said...

I loved her. LOVED HER. xo

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...