Saturday, April 10, 2010

Laminates and hardwoods and bamboo, oh my!

I'm off to the flooring store to look at underfoot surfaces for the new kitchen.  My head is reeling and I have yet to set one toe in the showroom.  I'm liking the idea of bamboo for its sustainability, but I've read it's not very tough....and we need "tough."  Laminate may be the way to go.  But this piece of bamboo is lovely, I think:
If you've "been here/done this" and have any suggestions for me, I'm all ears.  Meanwhile, we did find an affordable double oven we liked (Frigidaire double convection - giddy-up!) so that's one decision down:
I can't say enough about the joys of shopping with a good camera phone.  What an indispensable tool for a dazed and confused consumer like me!

3 comments:

Cathy Hamilton said...

Thanks to Jane, who wrote me privately with a flooring tip. Does anyone have experience with drawer-style dishwashers? I'm hearing they are high maintenance but the back-saving factor is tempting.

Carol Starr Schneider said...

Love bamboo floors. They can scratch easily with doggy paws. Make sure you get a sturdy flooring if you're going this way.

Thelma said...

I was told that bamboo was as hard as oak when I purchased flooring for our kitchen four or five years ago. There are dog scratches on it from our lovable but rambunctious companion, but they aren't really noticeable. The random nicks and dents from everyday use are very noticeable to me, not sure how much anyone else would notice.

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...