Thursday, October 27, 2011

I said 'yes' to this dress?!

This is what I looked like 32 years ago today, in what might be the world's most modest wedding dress. I was anti-veil, anti-diamond, anti-makeup and apparently, anti-skin. And, dig that Dorothy Hamill 'do!  The dress had been discontinued, so there was only one left in the bridal shop - a size 10. I was, at the time, a size 12/14, so I bought myself a copy of "The Scarsdale Diet" and a gym membership and - voila! - three months later, I could zip the thing up. After the wedding, we were off to Boca Raton, FL to honeymoon (hey, it was free) in my godparents' condo surrounded by their geriatric snowbird neighbors. (Think: Del Boca Vista from Seinfeld.) We were the youngest ones in the complex by 40 years. I'm not sure, but I think we even played shuffleboard. Good times.

2 comments:

Carol Starr Schneider said...

So pretty and virginal here. I had the SAME hairstyle. I rocked the Dorothy Hamill look for years, and on my wedding day, too!!!!

Cathy Hamilton said...

Virginal, yes, that's what I was going for. I rocked the Hamil for years, too. Too many years, probably. Then, it was a round of really bad perms. No wonder my hair is so white!

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...