Friday, January 20, 2012

Getting juiced the low-carb way

Cranberry juice used to be one of my favorite mixers. In fact, it's a key ingredient in my signature summer party cocktail, the Sea Breeze (vodka, grapefruit and cranberry juice with lots of lime). The problem with it - and all fruit juices, for that matter - is the high sugar content. Enter Cranberry Naturals. (Why, as a matter of fact, two complimentary bottles literally entered my mailbox yesterday!) Sweetened with Truvia, it contains 17 grams each of carbs and sugar per 8 oz serving, compared to 30 grams for the leading brand. 17 is still high if you really have to watch your sugar, so I've been adding just 2 or 3 ounces to my morning smoothie (Greek yogurt, frozen blueberries, vanilla protein powder, blueberry-infused Balsamic vinegar) which gives it just the right touch of tangy sweetness. Recommended!

No comments:

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...