Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Well, that's a fine 'how do you do!'

I just learned that the city of London will be throwing a welcome pageant, featuring a flotilla of 1000 boats down the River Thames, on the day the hubs and I arrive in town. How lovely of them! How charming! Okay, the hoopla is really for the Queen on the occasion of her Diamond Jubilee, but I can pretend, can't I? The good news is, our flight gets in early that morning (June 3) so we can get to our hotel and freshen up before dashing to the river at "high water." Crazy fun stuff like this always seems to happen to us when we travel. Except for the time we missed Paul McCartney in Santa Fe by three hours.

2 comments:

Nebraskim said...

Not to be too Nelly Negative, but you need to check on your "check in" time at the hotel. Granted I've not been there for 20 years, but the several times I flew from USA to London in the 1980s and 1990s, we arrived 7 a.m.-ish, but could not check into our hotel until after 3. They let us drop our bags, but we just had to tough it out until then. Otherwise, your trip sounds super fun. I do not fly any more so overseas trips are no longer in my lifestyle, but this one sounds divine.

Cathy Hamilton said...

Whoa, Nellie. You're right, of course. We'll have to freshen up on the plane. The good news is: I have made a connection for a possible press pass to a reserved spot on one of the bridges. They even have a boat for the press in the flotilla. What a royal hoot that would be!

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...