Saturday, July 7, 2012

Sometimes, it's best not to know everything.

A few years ago, my now 30-year-old son - a lifelong risk-taker - told me that one of his dreams was to go skydiving, and that he would indeed do it someday. I took him by the shoulders, looked him in the eyes and said, "My love, I think you should go for it. But, please - whatever you do - don't tell me about it until it's over." Turns out, he did just that. He jumped out of a friggin' plane when his dad and I were 4,000 miles away in the U.K. I'm not just finding out about it now. But, I had successfully blocked it out until I saw this commemorative photo on Facebook. Gawd.
My boy is the one in green. Not sure if this is 'before' or 'after.'

2 comments:

Debbie V. said...

You're right - it's best not.
This is a great picture he can treasure and show his kids :)

Jake said...

At least he's a good kid for following your request. I wonder what you'd say if he asked to go jumping out of more planes.

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...