Friday, February 15, 2013

Counteract cataracts

Speaking of sun damage, did I mention I have very early signs of cataracts forming in both eyes? Delightful, isn't it? I could be years away from surgery, according to my new eye doctor, even a decade, but still... is there a diagnosis that makes a person sound older than "cataracts?" (Well, maybe "vaginal atrophy," but let's don't go there. It's Friday.) There is currently no way to prevent cataracts, but there are things we can do to slow their development including not smoking (check), avoiding steroid medicines (check), keeping diabetes under control (my blood glucose levels are excellent, thank you very much), avoiding sunlamps and tanning booths (duh!), and wearing a hat or sunglasses when we're in the sun. It was the last step that prompted me to buy the 'bigger is better' shades you see in the photo before hitting the beach in a couple weeks. They are called "Abigail" by Coach and the best thing about them is the part you can't see...
...the cool little rainbow of colors on the inside of the temples.  I think I'll double down and wear a hat, too.  If I can find one.  Did I mention I had the biggest head in my class? Oh yeah. The nuns had to special order a graduation cap for me.  Delightful, isn't it?


2 comments:

Cath Pete said...

I'm a member of the big head club, too. I can fit into my dad's old hats--hard to find hats to fit. The way I figure it, a bigger brain needs a bigger cranium to live in. Ha!

Cathy Hamilton said...

CP, after my dad died, my mom gave me all his hats - size 7-5/8 - 7-7/8. I'm going to wear one of them on the trip. Might get a summer cowboy hat from www.bigheadcaps.com. Otherwise, it's pretty much visors for me. Glad to find a big-headed soulmate. Have a good weekend.

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...