Thursday, May 2, 2013

Great advice for business and retirement

This list of the most highlighted passages in famous business books holds astute truisms and nuggets of sage advice for working folk. One, in particular, resonates with me in light of my impending retirement (2-1/2 months to go). In fact, it's one of the main reasons I'm retiring as soon as I'm able, although I've not used these exact words to describe it before: To lengthen the perception of my life.

Monotony collapses time; novelty unfolds it. You can exercise daily and eat healthily and live a long life, while experiencing a short one. If you spend your life sitting in a cubicle and passing papers, one day is bound to blend unmemorably into the next—and disappear. That’s why it’s important to change routines regularly, and take vacations to exotic locales, and have as many new experiences as possible that can serve to anchor our memories. Creating new memories stretches out psychological time, and lengthens our perception of our lives.


2 comments:

CathPete said...

Wow---eye opener--thanks.

Cathy Hamilton said...

CP, wasn't it, though? Made me question the old adage: Time flies when you're having fun. Maybe monotony is the reason time seems to be going be so quickly lately.

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...