Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day. Meh?

I've been reminiscing with the Ghost of Mother's Days Past and have realized that mine have been more cursed than blessed...starting in 1983 when my toddler son dove head-first into a coffee table. We spent that frantic evening in the emergency room having his face stitched up. And who can forget the less-than-glorious Sundays in May, years later, when my kids were too hung-over from the prom or other spring flings to get up before noon. Breakfast in bed? Of course! I took them Gatorade and saltines on a silver platter. Then, there was the time my husband found pot in my 17-year-old son's car and grounded him as he planted the traditional Mother's Day impatiens for me. That was relaxing. This year, said son - now 31 - is in New York having the time of his life with his girlfriend. We are babysitting his cat. My husband and daughter - and 16 additional relatives - will gather in my kitchen at six to eat lasagna, honor my mother - the matriarch of our crazy, imperfect family - and enjoy a beautiful spring day. If it doesn't rain. 

4 comments:

Carol Starr Schneider said...

It's a special day, isn't it! Such wonderful memories... or not. Have a happy one anyway, kins. I already hosted an early mother's day brunch on saturday for 16. i have a few bagels left over. I'll email you one. Onion or plain? xo Happy M.D. Hope it doesn't rain.

Cathy Hamilton said...

Happy M.D. to you, too, sweetness! If you see my boy, buy him a bagel. (Are you still in NYC?)

KJ said...

Happy Mother's Day to you, Cathy. You've raised some beautiful kids!

Cathy Hamilton said...

Thanks, KJ. I was just being ornery. The kids are alright. That's all we moms can ask for, yes? See you June 1 at the you-know-what!

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...