Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Breaking up with Joe. For good.

I broke up with wheat. I broke up with diet soda. I even broke up with vodka, except for the occasional Tito's (no wheat) and diet tonic which, I know, is just like diet soda but give a girl a break. It's the holidays. What I haven't been able to do is break up with coffee.
Until today. Today, I woke up with new resolve to kick the coffee habit once and for all. Why give Joe the boot, you ask? After all, my morning companion for 40 years has been so stimulating, so tasty! Coffee causes weird fluctuations of blood sugar and tends to spike blood pressure. Not so good for a person like me. Plus, it dries you out and causes calcium leakage which isn't good for bones. And, sometimes, you just have to kick an addictive habit to get healthier...in mind and in body. So, it's tea for me. Black or green in the morning and herbal in the afternoon.
Thankfully, I have this stimulating tea drawer that gives me a little buzz every time I open it. Polly, put the kettle on...and wish me luck!

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...