Friday, December 6, 2013

Head shots: Stark reality in high rez

Due to my desire to reinvent myself as a commercial actor, I am examining my aging self in a new, not always comfortable, light. First, there was the 'go-see' audition for a print job - promotional materials for a bank. I knew my gray hair would read "mature," but seeing the words on the casting sign: Needed: "Woman, old".... that was hard to swallow. I didn't get the gig. Maybe I just wasn't old enough, I rationalized. My ego was still intact. Then, I got my new head shots back.
I don't mind this one, except it looks like I'm about to fall down. "Woman, old...with Ménière's disease"
Here's what I should have done before looking at over 30 photos of myself:
      1) Have a stiff drink
      2) Take off my glasses
      3) Repeat #1
      4) Repeat #3
Now, I'll admit to taking a selfie or two with my phone, but seeing yourself through someone else's sharp lens - especially in close-up - is a reality more disturbing than "My Strange Addiction." That's right. I would rather watch someone eat a phone book than look at those crevices on my face. (Kids, stay out of the sun! I can't emphasize this enough.)
"Woman, old" on phone with her dermatologist: "Are you kidding me with this Retinol crap?!?".
But, the show must go on and now I must choose three to five of the best "looks" for the talent agency's website. Let's consider the other possible choices, shall we?
"Woman, old" laughing hysterically for no reason on a staircase in Barnes & Noble. She might be lost.

"Woman, old" giving it one more shot as a hooker.
"Woman, old" still at B&N. Yep, lost and terrified.
There are more proofs, but I won't do that to you. It's the holidays. My one consolation? At least, I'm not reinventing myself as a swimsuit model.

3 comments:

Carol Starr Schneider said...

Love!!!! Love!!! Love!!!!

Cathy Hamilton said...

So, do you think the hooker thing might take? Because I may need to find another avocation.

Gretchen | Parkinsons Disease Treatments said...

You look great! Some "old" people now looks like 30 because of technologies. What did you do to maintain your younger look? How I wish when I got old, I can be like you.

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...