Sunday, May 4, 2014

Johnny Weir tops off the Derby

I knew nothing about this year's Kentucky Derby field. But, that didn't stop me from celebrating in traditional style, mint juleps and all. It's a family tradition, albeit one that makes no sense since we're not horse people, except for an aunt who raised cattle but showed hackney ponies. Let's face it, bourbon and hats are the main draw.  That said, I applaud NBC for injecting Johnny's brilliance into the proceedings this year. It made the event so much more of an event!
He said he picked Danza to win because "hold me closer, Tony Danza."
How I would love it if he could appear and commentate at all major sporting events from now on - the Super Bowl, Stanley Cup, NBA championship, Final Four. Heck, I'd like to see him do a cameo on Mad Men tonight, just to watch Don's expression.

No comments:

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...