Saturday, May 24, 2014

Letting off (a lot of) steam

All I wanted was a seam ripper and hem tape. Yesterday, I decided to let out that hem of my new dress myself. (See post below.) After all, my mother sent me to sewing class for the entire summer of '68.  I used to make my own dresses and scooter skirts. With zippers, mind you! I could, at least, let out a hem in time for the wedding tomorrow. Well, it turned out that the only fabric store was having a huge Memorial Day sale...fabrics marked down by 40%, notions 50% off or BOGO! I wasn't a bit tempted UNTIL I saw this little baby - a professional steamer at 25% off - and there was only one left!
My new BF posing in front of my now-obsolete built-in ironing station.
I've always wanted a professional steamer (versus an amateur steamer... I take my wrinkles very seriously) but I never felt I had the space for it. Nevertheless, I picked that puppy off the shelf, brought it home, filled it up and have, literally, been steaming ever since. God help me, I CAN'T STOP! By the time we leave for the wedding tomorrow, everything in my closet will be wrinkle-free. My dress may not be hemmed, but that linen will be smooooooth!

1 comment:

Carol Starr Schneider said...

I'm so happy for you, Wally. Use your steamer in good health. Meanwhile, what happened with the spray tan?

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...