Thursday, May 29, 2014

RIP, Maya Angelou.

London. The early years.
Since Ms. Angelou's death yesterday, I've been trying to decide which one of her many quotes was my favorite. Impossible to decide, but I share this one with my single daughter a lot: "When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time." Here's a fitting verse, too.

In memoriam:

Phenomenal Woman
BY MAYA ANGELOU

Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I’m not cute or built to suit a fashion model’s size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I’m telling lies.
I say,
It’s in the reach of my arms,
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I’m a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That’s me.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Great picture, Cathy. Great quote. Amazing human.

KJ said...

Perfect. Thank you for posting this, Cathy.

Cathy Hamilton said...

You're welcome. That photo is amazing, isn't it? I had forgotten that she was a dancer.

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...