Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Finally.

Bravo, Mr. President. 

Same-sex marriage is a tough one for a lot of people, even non-evangelicals. My dad, for instance, just couldn't wrap his head around it. I believe it wasn't so much homophobia as "old school" upbringing and a complete lack of knowledge and, thus, comfort, with regards to gay relationships. Unlike me, Dad never had a gay friend or relative (that he was aware of), never heard a "coming out" story over a cocktail, never had any personal exposure to, or honest experience with, a gay human being. That's why I thought President Obama's comments today to ABC News resonated in such an authentic way, even if it did take him longer to make the statement than some would have liked:
"I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together, when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that Don't Ask Don't Tell is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I've just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married."

4 comments:

William said...

A month away from my own wedding, I am overjoyed to hear this support from the President of the United States.

Thank you too, Cathy, for your support and acceptance of our love!

Alice said...

Amen, Cathy. He is on the right side of history, the way Lyndon Johnson was on the Civil Rights Act. It hurt him in the south, but 50 years on, Jim Crow laws are unthinkable. So be it for LBGTQ folks. As MLK said, the arc of history is long, but it bends toward justice.
Al

Carol Starr Schneider said...

My 90 year old Dad, father of a gay son, said yesterday that if Obama hadn't come out in support of same-sex marriage, he wouldn't have voted for him. I couldn't be prouder!!!

Nebraskim said...

My late father would have been so happy with Obama's statement; I know my mother is thrilled. My parents' Godson died early in the AIDS epidemic. He was my age. When he came out to them, he was about 23 (this would have been in about 1978), my parents said to him, "you know, this changes nothing. We have always loved you and will continue to love you." His parents were the same. In fact, he was the type of individual that everyone loved instantly and deeply.

When he died, it devastated my parents, who not only knew him, but many of his dear friends. I agree that Obama's "evolution" seemed authentic and genuine. And I so applaud that his children helped move the needle for him.....

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...