Thursday, July 18, 2013

Retirement is a roller coaster, alright.

Saw an older acquaintance at today's Sidewalk Sale - my swan song, of sorts. She asked how I was feeling about retirement. "At the moment, kind of emotional," I said. She answered, "Give yourself time to grieve. Retirement is a loss. You're losing part of your identity, part of your social network." Gawd, I thought. I am so sick of loss. I'm losing things right and left. Then, she said, "But the reinvention thing is awesome!" OK, that made me feel a little better. So did these...
It turns out, you get a lot of flowers when you retire. But, I'll be glad when this week is over.

2 comments:

Carol Starr Schneider said...

You're just getting started. Congratulations!!!! So freakin' proud of you!

Cathy Hamilton said...

Thanks. I just got home from turning in my keys. (Hasn't this been the longest, lamest build-up to something you've ever seen?!)

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...