Sunday, June 15, 2014

Happy Father's Day to all the fun dads!

One of my favorite childhood memories is swimming with my dad. Whether it was in a lake on vacation or at the pool on a hot summer night, when my dad got in the water wearing his swim trunks and "mohair sweater" (he was a very hairy individual), we knew we were in for some fun. My dad was tall and strong with broad shoulders. We would stand on them and dive into the drink or make him throw us into the deep end, over and over and over again.  Pretty soon, he was hurling his own kids plus our best friends plus kids we didn't even know. This went on for hours. He was a real trooper. Once in a while, if we begged him enough, he'd climb the high dive and perform a cannonball so huge, the lifeguard in the chair would get drenched. I don't have any photos from those days, sadly. But, I do have plenty of these...
I'm lucky to have had a great, hard-working, exemplary dad who loved to play. And, so are my kids.

2 comments:

Carol Starr Schneider said...

Happy Father's Day to Rex !

Cathy Hamilton said...

And the same to Howie Wowie! xo

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...