Thursday, June 12, 2014

It's like buttah...it IS buttah!

"Churning" butter
The other day, I bought a quart of real cream from Iwig Dairy (now in North Lawrence, for local readers). I do this, on occasion, as reward for sticking to my Atkins-ish diet for more than a couple days. (Set the bar low, people. That's the key to success.) I prefer to buy pints, because I use it only for coffee and the occasional cream sauce. Problem is, Iwig rarely has pints available. So, I bought a quart and quickly found myself with a surplus of cream. What to do? A brief Google search turned up this amazing solution: Make butter in the food processor.  Whaaaat??!??!  Here's a brief video showing how....

The process took me and my 20-year-old Cuisinart about ten minutes, not five, but the results were the same...
 a lovely container of delicious butter, lightly salted by me afterward, and some fresh buttermilk to use in salad dressings. It's a messy job (you'll want to rinse and squeeze the butter several times) but fun, in a modern pioneer woman kind of way.

No comments:

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...