Sunday, January 24, 2010

Go, you chicken fat, go away!

   Lately, I've been taking advantage of the time I spend waiting for the dog to do her business in the yard by engaging in simple calisthenics.  Squats and arm circles, mainly.  I just stand there by the garage and do a couple sets of them while Lucy takes her sweet time to go.
   This morning, while doing deep knee bends, that 1961 Robert Preston tune, "Chicken Fat," inexplicably popped into my brain, and it's been there ever since.  I remember how the nuns used to put it on the record player on rainy days and lead us in the routine by our desks.
   'Wonder how many American kids could get through this deceptively simple workout now?
  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this Robert Preston? I've had
a serious crush on him since "Music
Man."

Cathy Hamilton said...

Yes, Robert Preston (Harold Hill) and the song was written by Meredith Wilson who wrote "Music Man."

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...