Monday, June 14, 2010

12 angry women + 1

   Clearly, these gals are none to happy about serving jury duty, and neither was my daughter who, at 25, was summoned to district court for the first time this morning.  I told her it was her civic duty, a privilege, and, as a matter of fact, an interesting and educational exercise.  Besides, I told her, they probably won't pick you because the pool is huge.
  Well, she called over the lunch hour to say - in a very dramatic whisper - that she had, in fact, been selected and that's all she could tell me at this time. Oh, to be a mouse in the corner of that deliberation room....

3 comments:

Carol Starr Schneider said...

Oh, I feel her. Do I ever! Keep those updates coming.

Cathy Hamilton said...

Funniest story, so far:
She was on the stand, nervous and anxious, being questioned by the attorneys during the selection process. One of the lawyers asked, "Do you know very much about cars?" She replied, "No. I just steer and pump the brakes." She said that got a big laugh from the 100 watching. "Make 'em laugh, make 'em laugh, make 'em laugh..."

Flowers said...

She should've gone with the "I don't trust cops" line. Works every time. Was just called to a civil, malpractice trial and knew I had to get out of it. Swapped "doctors" for "cops" and out I walked.
Weird thing was that they didn't want to let me go. I was one of the few who spoke English as a first language, and was like..."they are going to make me the foreman of this gig."
Also odd, was that many other people really wanted to serve and the lawyers kept finding reasons to get rid of them. Ah, justice. Where do you buy it and how much does it cost? Hope your daughter enjoys her stint!

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...