Sunday, June 27, 2010

Stories for a steamy Sunday

   My column today explains my "meh" attitude towards the World Cup, even before yesterday's loss to Ghana. (Best joke of the day, immediately posted on Twitter after the game by Danny Zuker, creator of ABC's Modern Family: "Africa gets all the breaks.")
   I also wrote a feature story on some of the crazy questions fielded by local master gardeners...like "What the heck is this?" (Note phallic-looking thingamajig in photo above.) If you have a master gardener hotline in your neck of the woods, don't hesitate to call them with your unsolved horticultural mysteries.  They've got a world of knowledge at their green fingertips and they're there to help.

4 comments:

Carol Starr Schneider said...

Once again, we are TOTALLY in sync, BG. I wrote a vuvuzela-hating poem moments ago, and posted before reading your brilliant column. I. Don't. Get. It. I shlept to my son's games (only the youngest, thank God)and never knew what was going on, unless someone shouted "Goal!" I often clapped for the wrong team. Make. It. Stop!!!!!!

Cathy Hamilton said...

CSS, except for our divergent blood lines and that slight resemblance problem, I'd swear we were twins separated at birth. I'm glad our soccer mom days are over, dahling!

Carol Starr Schneider said...

Me, too. Soccer is so boring. I wanted to put "boring" in caps, but that's a no-no? WHAT?!

Cathy Hamilton said...

I KNOW. OMIGOD, COULD YOU DIE!?!?
APPARENTLY, WE'VE BEEN SCREAMING AND WE DIDN'T EVEN KNOW IT!!!!

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...