Saturday, June 12, 2010

Mom's back-up plan

   Yesterday, I paid a brief visit to my mom to catch up.  She was getting dressed for an afternoon tea, so I lolled on her bed (like I used to do) while we talked.
   "Don't get too close to my knife," she said, nonchalantly.
    I lifted the pillow next to hers and saw a 10-inch butcher knife, lying at the ready.
    She explained that her alarm system and phone service were on the blink and that they were somehow tied together, electronically.  The knife was Plan B.
    I was tempted to point out that she is a 76 year-old woman, 5'1" and 100 pounds, who, in the middle of the night, might be easily overpowered by an intruder who could use the knife against her. Then I thought, why deny the woman precious peace of mind?
   As I've gotten older, I've learned it's often a better idea to just hold your tongue.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this! The image alone is wonderful, the mental picture you created of "mom" with a shiv is even better!

Cathy Hamilton said...

Lori,
This is belated, but thanks. Mom is adorable and has been surprisingly independent and strong (if not somewhat delusional) since Dad died. BG

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...