Tuesday, June 14, 2011

I Can't Believe I'm Not Going to the Toast-Off!

Well, you can't win 'em all. I thought my entry in the "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" toast contest was a bona fide contender, but the absence of congratulatory emails in my inbox tells me otherwise. In retrospect, my recipe may have lost points on several counts: I should have done more with the product and featured toasted bread more prominently. My other downfall might have been using beer as a major ingredient. And, let's be honest, Welsh Rarebit, however delightful, is not exactly nutritious or new, even though I still think it's retro, unexpected and cool. Oh, well. If I can't be the ambassador of "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter," maybe I can shill for a more appropriate product - like Dove, Depends or Dewar's. (Are you listening, Madison Avenue? Have your mad men call my mad men!)

2 comments:

Carol Starr Schneider said...

How dare they pass you by?! Your Rarebit recipe was a thing of brilliance, delicious and retro and oh-so-hip. And it had beer!!!! They are not worthy of your gifts. Onward to Madison Avenue. I hear Michelob Light is looking for recipes.

Annie said...

Have they no taste? Really anything with alcohol in it is usually delicious.

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...