Monday, June 27, 2011

"Service Above Self"

If you had told me five years - heck, even five months - ago, that I would be a Rotarian one day, I would not have called you crazy. I would have simply explained that I've never been much of a joiner (which is putting it mildly).  I dropped out of the Girl Scouts, my college sorority and the Junior League all after one year. Nevertheless, I was inducted into a local Rotary Club today - painlessly and without incident - and welcomed warmly into the fold. I have to say, it feels pretty good to be a member of a club again. And, as long as they don't make me sew a sit-upon or remember a secret handshake, I might even last longer than 12 months.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Congrats. They are a great organization that do many good works. They do not have secret handshakes only rotary songs.

Cathy Hamilton said...

Indeed they are, Annie. Thanks. And the club I joined LOVES to sing!

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...