Friday, June 10, 2011

The lights are much brighter there.

    A power outage in downtown Lawrence forced me to come home early today. 'Seems the lights are always blinking off and on in my fair little city. Nobody knows why.
    As I was driving home, I hoped the power would come back by dinnertime, then started thinking about the "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" toast contest I entered (see entry below) and how the judging will likely take place this weekend. Five finalists will be chosen to fly to New York for a "toast off" later this month in the Unilever kitchens. (The Food Network is involved....it's kind of a big deal.)
That started me thinking about how much I *heart* New York City at night. I'll never forget how that incredible skyline with all the lights came into view as I crossed the Brooklyn Bridge in a taxi for the first time in 1997.  And THAT started me thinking about this song from one of my favorite classic Broadway musicals:

2 comments:

Annie said...

I love the skyline of New York although it looks so much different since the World Trade Center is gone. The line from the song Downtown made me smile. I used to hear that every morning before work

Cathy Hamilton said...

Annie, I decided that maybe that "1997" skyline shot was insensitive or, at least, inappropriate. Nevertheless, there's nothing like the Big Apple at night. Except maybe a Midwestern backyard full of fireflies in June!

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...