Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Efudex: Two months later

I've received a few emails from readers, asking how my forehead looks now that my (pre-)skin cancer treatment is long over. I figure you may be considering doing the Efudex thing, too. And so, an update: Here's how it looked back in mid-February.  Here's how it looked this morning....
Do I have to mention this is sans make-up? I don't, do I?
There seem to be fewer lines, but there are still a few red patches, especially where the biggest, "third eye" lesion was. But, it's nothing that can't be covered up with my trusty war paint...
Here's a scary thought: What if mascara and bronzer had never been invented?!?
In the end, I'm happy I suffered through it, more for the peace of mind than "baby's butt" skin. I'm more faithful than ever about using sunscreen every day and I've started taking better care of my face, in general. As an aside, I'm liking Neutrogena products these days, as recommended by "Skin Rules" author, Dr. Debra Jaliman. I've been using the deep wrinkle serum every night for about a month and I'm really starting to see a difference.  (Now, with a nod to Nora Eprhon, if I could just get over feeling bad about my neck.)

5 comments:

Nebraskim said...

That's fantastic. Isn't the body's ability to heal itself just amazing?!

I read a Facebook posting today about a woman who died of melanoma at age 26. She was apparently a huge fan of tanning booths, still, there must be some factor other than sun exposure for the high incidence of melanoma in that population.

I spent hours and hours in the sun, working and playing outside, between ages 6 and 26. I still spend lots of time in the sun and rarely use sunscreen. Genetics is part of it, but there must be other factors we have yet to figure out.

I'm glad this worked out so well for you.

Cathy Hamilton said...

Thanks, Kim. Yes, there are times when 'better living through chemistry' rings true.

I agree that genetics is part of it but, if it were up to me, I'd make tanning salons illegal. The new tanning place in town is offering "$1 Tans for Teens!" I'm tempted to take my "Day 20" pictures down there and stand in front of the door.

Perle said...

Looks good. Sunscreen and big hats are my best friends living in the sunny south.

Carol Starr Schneider said...

Huge improvement. So glad you're doing okay, BG. xx

The Path Traveled said...

Cathy,
Efudex is used to fight Skin Cancer.
Yes, I agree it does make your skin smoother and does take some wrinkles away, but your bloggers should also know how this drug, this CHEMO in a tube, is used to fight cancer.
I hope your readers will read my story which can be found on two of my blogs.
Thank you, Cathy, for sharing your experience.
click here
click here

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...