Saturday, March 29, 2014

My hotel has gone to the dogs

The Eldorado Hotel and Spa in Santa Fe is a lovely, luxury hotel with a great location, super-friendly staff and charming, comfortable rooms. (They are also giving me a heckuva media rate for which I thank them profusely.) The Eldorado is known as a "dog-friendly" hotel which, on principle, is admirably humane and, conceptually, fun.
Not my dog, but the bed is similar to mine.
The Short Jewish Gal and I are here (more from her perspective over on her blog)) and we got a kick out of all the dogs parading with their look-alike owners as we checked in. There are little bowls of water for the canine guests scattered about and they even write the dogs' names on a little board in the lobby to welcome them. (Apparently, dogs sophisticated enough to travel can also read.)
I was loving the whole idea of sharing my digs with dogs until I saw a couple from Texas checking in right next door to me with not one, but three, tiny pooches whose names I could only guess were Yippy, Yappy and Ruff-Ruff.  I greeted them warmly but I was panicked inside. Omigod, I thought, I have enough trouble sleeping in strange places. How am I going to sleep with all that barking going on? The good news is, while they made a little ruckus going out for their 11 p.m walkie, I didn't hear a peep out of them the rest of the night.  I am bushy-tailed, if not bright-eyed, and ready to take on the day in Santa Fe. And to Lucy, the canine I left at home, you're still the cutest dog in the world. But, if you can't read my blog, you really should learn.

No comments:

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...