Thursday, March 27, 2014

First stop: Tucumcari

As excited as I was about this trip, I was a little worried about the first, heavy driving day. How would I fare with no back-up driver? Could I make it all the way to Tucumcari without falling asleep at the wheel, having my back lock up or hallucinating? Surprisingly, the nine-hour drive wasn't bad at all thanks to prophylactic ibuprofen and the audio books I checked out of the library on a friend's suggestions. (Why are audio books completely off my radar? They're fantastic!) With Tina Fey (Bossypants) and Nora Ephron (I Remember Nothing) as traveling companions, the miles flew by... all except the last leg from Dalhart, TX, when my foot got a little heavy and I grew increasingly annoyed by tumbling tumbleweeds. (Yes, they actually tumble across the road in front of you. You think they're going to screw up your car but they're actually so fragile, they're almost dust. When you're road weary, this logic escapes you.) But, I made it and am hunkered down at a classic Route 66 motel. Tonight, it's dinner at the historic Pow Wow Restaurant and Lizard Lounge (where it's also karaoke night...I doubt if I'll sing, but you never know) with my 10% off coupon from the motel!
Real Route 66 Retro
Old ad painted on patio wall. Owners have a sense of humor.
Clean, cool and cheap....just $54.95!

2 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

HAVE fun. Nothing like being on the open road, alone.

Carol Starr Schneider said...

See you soon, Wally! xo

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...