Monday, March 31, 2014

On the house at The Old House

I was thrilled when The Eldorado offered to treat us to dinner at The Old House one night during our stay. I chose Sunday because it was Carol's last night in town and many of the other restaurants in the area are closed on Sundays. What I love to do in these glorious "on the house" situations is leave the ordering up to the restaurant staff. So, at our waiter and maitre d's suggestions, we ordered the "Rocket" Tuna (rare seared tuna, arugula, macadamia, crisp wonton and chipotle sesame drizzle)...
Perfect on every level.
 Lump crab cake with saffron corn cream and tequila splashed jicama slaw....
The jicama slaw with fresh cilantro was a symphony.
 Carol had the pan-seared ruby trout with blue corn cake, calabacitas and red chile pesto...
The Short Jewish Gal gave it two enthusiastic thumbs up.
And, because I thought I should experience the "specialty of the house" (for journalistic reasons, mind you) I allowed them to bring me The Old House signature 28-day dry-aged ribeye, medium rare, with crispy salt roasted potatoes, romesco dip and herbed compound butter.
This hunk of beef was the size of Carol's head. (I'd say my head but I have a real melon and I hate to exaggerate.) Needless to say, half of it is in my mini-fridge as I type. Where are those three little dogs when you need them?
Oh, but it wasn't over yet! For dessert, they brought out this outrageously decadent chocolate pyramid thingy...
AND a killer creme brulee that I'm not going to show you because this is getting embarrassing.(And, yes, I will be hitting the gym today.) Many thanks to the chef and entire staff at The Old House. It was a gastronomic extravaganza we won't soon forget. Highly recommended. 

No comments:

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...