Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Eat, Play, Spa: Day 1

The article I'm writing will have a sidebar story titled, "The Spas of Santa Fe." In the name of research, I am receiving one "signature" spa treatment per day for four days, starting today.  (Don't hate me because I'm lucky.) Treatment No. 1 was an authentic shiatsu massage at Ten Thousand Waves, a Japanese-style spa eight miles north of town at the base of the mountain.
The entrance to Ten Thousand Waves. Well worth the climb.
One is fully clothed when one receives a shiatsu massage, which is probably a good thing because of the intense but energizing technique used by the massage therapist and the rather intimate positions one is put into, at times. I was given a t-shirt and sweats that were so comfortable, I was tempted not to give them back.
Reverse selfie taken in the locker room. Wish I knew what the Japanese character meant.
My massage was followed by twenty minutes in the relaxation room and another twenty or so in the clothing optional woman's tub where I was one of only two women opting for swimsuits. The rest were naked. I was so blissed out, I hardly noticed.  
This isn't my photo. No babies today. Just naked, nubile young women. But, I really didn't notice.
After four hours in a Zen-like state, I returned to my inn and decided to order room service: Blue corn chicken enchiladas and a house margarita for just fifteen dollars.
Heaven on a tray.
Something tells me I'm going to sleep like a stone tonight.  Tomorrow, a signature facial at The Four Seasons of Santa Fe. (Again, please...don't hate!)

2 comments:

Carol Starr Schneider said...

Dang, Wally! I knew I should have stayed longer. What fun!!!! Enjoy today and think of me whenever you sip a big girl 'rita.

Cathy Hamilton said...

We should have taken a scenic drive. That's my only regret. BTW, I found out why we weren't very hungry here (although that didn't stop us from eating). It's in my latest post.

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...