Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Set 'em up, barkeep!

I got a job offer the other night. Actually, I'd gotten the same offer just after announcing my retirement last year, but I didn't take it seriously. My friend (who co-owns a popular local bar) repeated his offer last weekend, "You really ought to come tend bar for me. I think you'd have a lot of fun. Just once a week, and you'd only have to work until 9." Me? A bartender? Several thoughts came to mind: Does he really see me as the bartender type? Like Jackie Gleason....
Sam Malone....
Tom Cruise in that terrible movie....

or Ted, the Love Boat guy who never learned it was impolite to point?
And, by the way, why aren't there any famous female bartenders? Oh, wait. There are...
Let's face it, I'm not the Coyote Ugly type either. Still, the invitation is intriguing. I'm always making up my own signature cocktails at home. The interaction with people would be fun. And, everybody knows a bartender has to be part-mixologist/part-psychologist, which is something I've always been pretty good at. I think I might have to give it a try. But, first I'm going to change my name to Jo. Because "set 'em up, Cathy" just sounds wrong.

No comments:

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...