Sunday, March 9, 2014

The remains of the day

The hubs turned 60 yesterday and we celebrated by throwing a brunch/watch party for 22 people. Appetizers for the 10:30 a.m. affair were mini cinnamon rolls from our favorite bakery and an assortment of deviled eggs (spicy, honey mustard and guacamole) along with mimosas and a Bloody Mary bar using Zing Zang, my favorite mix (and I've tried them all). Lunch at half-time included brisket, cheesy potatoes (the b'day boy's favorite), fruit salad and boozy Irish-inspired cupcakes from this amazing recipe.
I was so busy cooking all day Friday and hosting on Saturday (when do I get to "just call a caterer" like one of my wealthy friends suggested?) I took no photos until this morning. I am still exhausted from head to toe. It's shocking how tired I am.
The extent of the decorations.
The classy necklace I made him wear.
Except for the unfortunate outcome of the game, a good time was had by all. Every time I turned around, the hubs was passing around the x-ray of his new hip. (I can remember when he used to pass around illegal herbs. Oh, how our parties have changed over the years.)
Afterward, we both took a two-hour nap. This morning, the old man asked what I wanted to do for my 60th birthday (which is more than a year-and-a-half away, mind you). I replied, "Ignore it and go away, preferably to Mexico."

2 comments:

jp said...

Sounds like a great party with yummy food and good friends! I totally agree, 60 in Mexico sounds wonderful.

Carol Starr Schneider said...

Rex showed his x-ray? That is hilarious. Happy 60th Rexy. Happy You Don't Have to Throw Another Party For Awhile, God Willing, to you, Cathy.

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...