Sunday, March 2, 2014

Ode to the Internet

I just noticed it's been almost a week since I last posted, which is odd because I've spent so much time thinking about the Internet and how it has changed my life for the better. The World Wide Web is responsible for rekindling some of the best relationships of my life, including childhood friends and neighbors, high school pals and long-lost co-workers from previous careers.  If the Internet didn't exist, this would simply not have happened. This week, several events brought the wonders of the Web to the forefront of my mind. To wit:
My first FaceTime meeting with my friend and writing partner, Carol, who lives in L.A. (We met on the Internet via email years ago. And, while we have gotten together in person a few times, ours is largely a "pen pal" relationship.) We finally figured out we could talk on our iPads while writing on our laptops...simul-freaking-taneously! We were both exceedingly happy about this, as you can see, and it made our "process" easy and fun.
Kathleen with her new bangs. Wowzers!
My brand new friend, Kathleen from New Jersey, who contacted me on Friday after reading the account of my Efudex adventure which you can see here, here and here. Kathleen is 44, works at a big PR firm in New York City and has a case of solar keratosis on her forehead, just like I had. She sent me a thank you note for giving her the courage to go through with the treatment, as well as a few tips I shared about bangs for camouflage and products for comfort on the blog. I can't tell you how wonderful that made me feel, and I know she's going to do handle it like a champ.
Donna and her three kids vacationing in Greece
Tomorrow night, if the blankety-blank snow ever stops. I will drive into Kansas City and pick up my old high school friend, Donna, who is visiting from Italy where she has lived most of her adult life. I hadn't seen her since graduation until -- you guess it - I contacted her via Facebook about our 40th reunion. Bada bing, bada boom, I'm finding out her daughter attends the university up the street and we're planning a night out with old classmates.
 There will still be days when I feel like this, but I am forever grateful for my wifi connections.
I am not, however, feeling one ounce of gratitude for this damn snow.

3 comments:

A Fan said...

Right on, as usual BG. I was having the same thoughts Friday when at 39,000 feet, flying home from a business trip -- I was sending emails from my iPad. Wifi connected. Who woulda' thought? Remember the days of running to a pay phone to call home after your flight landed. So important for Boomers to keep up with technology. imho. Oh, and this winter --- ditto - it's about to send me over the edge!!!!!

Carol Starr Schneider said...

Personally, I've never looked lovelier. As usual, my eyes are closed, which explains today's blog. I'm always mid-nap. xo

Cathy Hamilton said...

AF, there are countless other examples I could give...not the least of which is Facetiming with my son who now lives over 1000 miles away. We were able to get a tour of his new apartment last week. And watching the Oscars while trolling on Twitter enhanced the experience tenfold.CSS, you are always lovely. Stop it!

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...