Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A banner book day!

   Yesterday, not one, but three fabulous books - review copies all - were delivered to my door.  (I love it when that happens!) The first was so heavy, the UPS guy was struggling under its weight, his little legs wobbling as he knocked on my door. It was (drum roll, please) Bon Appetit Desserts edited by Barbara Fairchild (Andrews McMeel Publishing), weighing in at a whopping 6.2 pounds, according to my bathroom scale. This tantalizing tome is packed with taste bud pleasing recipes, culled from the archives of Bon Appetit magazine for the last 50 years. While my current moratorium on sugar prevents me from trying them right now, I can literally get a sugar rush from reading titles like "Red Wine and Pear Brioche Tart," "White Pepper Creme Brulee with Fig and Prune Compote" and "California Walnut Pie with Orange and Cinnamon." The book is going for a great rate on Amazon right now and the price includes a year's subscription to the magazine.  Check it out!
   I love the spirit behind "The Good Neighbor Cookbook" by Sara Quessenberry and Suzanne Schlosberg, featuring 125 easy and tasty recipes to "surprise and satisfy new moms, new neighbors, recuperating friends, book club cohorts and block party pals in your life." It even contains a section on foods for condolences and community meetings, and instructions on how to organize meal trains and block parties. I can't wait to take "Chipotle-Pineapple Guacamole" to the next neighborhood 4th of July picnic!
   The third book is about how to get more sleep. I'll report on that, as soon as I see if it works.

2 comments:

Marguerite said...

I'm right there with you, trying to get off the Sugar Train. Just got home from the trip to Italy. It will be odd not having red wine with lunch each day! Mama mia, we had a wonderful time. Florence is in a class by itself.

Cathy Hamilton said...

Welcome back, Marg. 'Glad you had such a fabulous time.

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...