Saturday, January 29, 2011

Happy birthday, Kansas!

    Here's wishing my beloved Sunflower State a happy 150th birthday. "Ad astra per aspera" means "to the stars through difficulties," a good motto for any state to have these days.  And one the KU Jayhawks can apply in tonight's all-important clash with cross-state rivals, Kansas State.
  Me? I'll be breaking bread with my new step-family, meeting the kids and grandchildren of my mother's new husband-to-be. I hope we all make a good impression while we're screaming at the TV.

4 comments:

Marguerite said...

Good luck to all of you BG! My step siblings are wonderful, loving people. Wish we could have known each other sooner. Happy BD to Kansas, too. ps. What brand of double oven did you put in the kitchen reno? I'm going crazy with all the choices. :)

Cathy Hamilton said...

Thanks, Marg. We already know it's a great family. The oven is a Frigidaire Gallery Series double convection in stainless, one of two appliances that I love unequivocally (the other is my Bosch cooktop), so I'm happy to recommend. Choices will drive you crazy. Sometimes, you just have the bite the bullet and pull the trigger (excuse the metaphors).

Carol Starr Schneider said...

Sherman Oaks wishes Kansas happy birthday, and sends over a nice gift basket of sunshine. Have fun with the new family, BG. Details to follow!

LLanders said...

Hey, Cathy -- happy birthday to my beloved Kansas as well. I was born and raised in Lawrence -- Rock Chalk Jayhawk!! Linda Landers - Girltalk Blog

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...