Sunday, February 13, 2011

Scusi. para inglese?

    Last night, after a traditional Japanese sushi dinner prepared by Mexican chefs, the hubs and I wandered into a bookstore and bought a crash course in Italian. We've got eight weeks to learn useful phrases like "Where is the train station?" (Dov e la stazione?), "Can you speak more slowly?" (Puo parlare piu lentamente?) and, molto importante for the BoomerGirl: "Where is the bathroom? (Dov e il bagno?)
   After a brief review, I've noticed that Italian is fairly similar to Spanish, which I studied (and I use the word loosely) for three years in high school.  I also took four semesters of Latin in college which should come in handy. Still, the brain isn't what it used to be. So, while I get busy exercising my legs and glutes for those steep hillside climbs, I'd better get the old cerebellum into shape, too. Isn't there some kind of pill for that?

4 comments:

Carol Starr Schneider said...

There is a pill and it's on the way, COD. As long as you say, "Ciao!" a lot, you'll be fine. Still haven't received my ticket. What up with that, BG?

Cathy Hamilton said...

God knows I'm trying to swing it. We would love you and Howie in the cabin next door. At least, there'd be two people younger than we were!

Carol Starr Schneider said...

We will paddle next to the boat if necessary.

Cathy Hamilton said...

That won't be necessary. I'm sure we can throw you a life boat. I'll have Rex pack his tools.

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...