Sunday, October 24, 2010

Baubles, bangles and beads...on steroids!

I've returned from Day One of "the move" with one mission accomplished: To sort, pack and carry my MIL's extensive collection of costume jewelry home.  It took me 6 hours, but I did it.
In the interest of time, I didn't stop to take a lot of photos, but here's what the dresser looked like when I began.
A close-up.  That was approximately one-fifth of it.
This was what I pulled out of the pie safe.
Two smaller bins full of stuff stored here and there. In the end, there would be 3 small bins, two large and one extra-large, each stacked with 3 or 4 plastic trays containing multiple pieces.  Multiple, I tell you!
Thank God someone told me where to find the cart. And I filled 16 bags of trash and 7 trash bags for the Salvation Army and haven't even touched the closet. Yes, I'm going back tomorrow. Because, I'm on vacation!!

4 comments:

Carol Starr Schneider said...

Mom-in-law: highly-accessorized gal. Wow. This is some haul, BG. I'm in awe of your organizationl powers.

TARYTERRE said...

Looks like my mother-in-laws collection, when she died. I finally donated most of hers, then found what all that costume jewelry was actually worth. OUCH! Should have sold it, instead. My husband hasn't forgiven me. Live and learn.

Cathy Hamilton said...

That's just it, TT, I have no idea what it's worth and how I would begin to sell it. There are thousands of pieces and, astonishingly, very few single earrings. She managed, in the chaos, to keep sets of things together. I think we're going to catch our breath and hold onto it for a while.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'd love to get my hands on that! Ebay or Etsy would be a good way to sell it.

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...