Friday, October 22, 2010

This is vacation?

Part of my vacation from work next week will be spent cleaning out my 93-year-old mother-in-law's apartment, 82 miles away. She has moved permanently into a nursing facility five minutes from our house. It's time for closure. The apartment is small. A few things will go into storage and the rest to charity. The problem is what to do with her vast - and I mean colossal - costume jewelry collection. I found a picture online that will give you a representation of what I mean....
...IF you multiply the bin above by - and I'm not exaggerating - 100! Needless to say, I'm open to suggestions.

3 comments:

Suzy said...

Advertise it on eBay as a collection and call what you're doing an estate sale.

My grandmother had much the same, although perhaps in smaller (but still amazing) quantities, and much of it was ... err, not my style.

Cathy Hamilton said...

Suzy, I'll post photos in a couple days. Honestly, I don't know how we'd photograph or ship it all. And, to complicate matters, my daughter is suddenly interested in cherry-picking everything "in case there are cute, funky things in there, like brooches"... Argh!

Carol Starr Schneider said...

Goodwill. Pre-schools. Perfect for dress-up and tea parties. Flea markets, of course. Swap meets. Set the jewelry out on a table at work, like donuts, and see if anyone bites!

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...