Monday, May 2, 2011

Arrivederci, Vernazza!

We spent our last day in the CinqueTerre in Vernazza, our home base for the past four days. It was Labor Day - a national holiday - even though it fell on Sunday this year (no three-day weekends for the Italians, except Easter weekend.)
Day trippers packed the town and locals hit the beach...or, what there is of it.
I loved this old guy (above) reading his paper on the rocks while his wife soaked up the sun.  And, the family (below) who hung out all day on their beached rowboat.
We shared this incredible seafood risotto for lunch....
and did some souvenir and gifts-for-the-kids shopping. Here I am modeling my new Italian silk & cotton scarf....
The carbs and wine are showing on my face (and everywhere else - food here is bread, pasta and pastries - I had no choice, people!) but it's nothing that 14 days on Atkins won't cure. I hope.
We booked one of the tables on the balcony here at Belforte for our last night....
and who did we meet, dining at the next table, (no, not Rick Steves again) but an army brat named Paul who spent three years of his adolescence in Ft. Riley, Kansas, and still loves the Kansas City Chiefs (bonding him forever to the hubs)...
I took lots of photos to remember the place by, and remind myself of some great party decorating ideas...
like wrapping big potted plants with red-checkered tablecloths or sticking fresh flowers in a bowl of lemons.
I also took lots of pictures of the ubiquitous and colorful clotheslines in Vernazza which I plan to frame and hang in my laundry room.
If only I could take home Vernazza's laid-back people. But, I'm afraid they won't fit into my now not-so-lightly-packed luggage. 'Guess I'll have to come back someday. Ciao, ciao, amici!!

3 comments:

Carol Starr Schneider said...

Looking very glam here, BG. Very fetching with the scarf. Beautiful lighting. Come home already.

Cathy Hamilton said...

Thanks, and I wish I WERE home already. Great trip but we're done! I'm in Nice enjoying a scotch on the rocks and trying to get ready for my first and possibly last authentic French dinner. Anything but pasta or pizza. Mwah. SJG!

Marguerite said...

Looks like a wonderful place. I love Tuscany. The scarf is bella, BG. You have done a great job of documenting the trip. Thanks for sharing it all.

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...