Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Moving: It does get easier with age

This week - and through the holiday weekend - I am moving my office from the back of a 1970's bank building to a historic, if funky, second-floor space overlooking Massachusetts Street in beautiful downtown Lawrence. (The location is so great, it's even above a jewelry store!) If there's one thing I've learned over the years from too many moves, it's "purge before you pack." To that end, I am donating every piece of dated but sturdy office furniture - including my enormous desk that couldn't make the trip up the stairs, anyway - to Habitat's ReStore, (currently accepting donations for Habitat homeowners hit by the Joplin tornado, fyi.) ReStore will come and take all of my stuff on Friday morning, leaving boxes of files, computer equipment and miscellaneous plus donated modular office furniture for the movers on Sunday. Will it really be that easy? Of course not. But, it'll beat the old days of heaping everything I own into a friend's pick-up.

2 comments:

Marguerite said...

Love the picture! Good luck with the move. Be careful with your previously injured leg!

Annie said...

You are right about how it gets easier to move with age. My husband and I moved recently and it just seems like you are more organized and less into maybe keeping all the junk that you have. My theory if you haven't used it in 6 mos. to a year out it goes.

Inn of the Governors

The Inn of the Governors on West Alameda is where my maternal grandparents used to stay in the '60s and '70s when they'd visit ...